Sunday 16 June 2013

At the polling centre, a young lad of about 16 years of age was voting on behalf of a 72 year old woman, perhaps this was exactly what the politicians meant when they said “ The Indian voter has matured ”, I thought.

The presiding officer was already looking too bored of his task, not even half an hour into the polling p...rocess, and was looking sideways for the Indian version of ‘Nectar’ a cup of over boiled tea- ‘chaai’.

He had left home four days back to take up his duties for the election, no one had bothered about his food and accommodation, he was dependent upon the workers of the various political parties, who were deputed on the polling centre, for refreshments and tea.

It would be another day or two before he would get back home.
Now it was my turn to cast my vote, at 7:30 am, as the officer looked up for my name in the list, he told me" your vote has already been cast" ( only half an hour into voting).

“How can somebody else cast my vote?” I asked

“I do not know, but I can’t do anything about it” he said.

Having been a victim of many such electoral creativity, I was also adamant to have my way, I knew there was a way to cast my vote and get the earlier one cancelled.
With a heavy heart the presiding officer came out with a form, and asked me to fill that up and submit, after which I could vote for MYSELF.

How these geniuses would cancel the earlier vote and endorse the present one, is a mystery I am yet to unravel.

No comments:

Post a Comment